The World According to Nick
Politics, News, Photography, and Triathlons... What don't I talk about?
Friday, December 14, 2007
<< This Seems So Familiar Winter Fun at McMiller >>
Rest In Peace

Very sad news for the blogosphere.  Tom's brother let me know that The Wheat and Rye Guy, Triticale, died last night, having never regained consciousness.  He had Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML), and it had spread to the brain.  No news yet on if there will be a memorial service.

Rest in peace.  You will be missed.

Triticale

Update:  I'm being asked by various folks if I know about a memorial service.  His brother Walter told me that Tom was being cremated, and that a memorial would likely be held in the spring, after some time has passed, so people can celebrate his life, instead of mourn his loss.

# Posted at 5:55 PM by Nick  |  Comment Feed Link 7 Comments  |  No Trackbacks

Add to del.icio.us |  Digg this Post | Filed Under: Blogging

Friday, December 14, 2007 7:26:05 PM (Central Standard Time, UTC-06:00)
Oh man! I just heard from Deb a little while ago
that he only had days at most, after having been
completely unaware before that. It explains why
he hasn't been around to comment lately.

He seemed like the nicest guy. So sad.
Saturday, December 15, 2007 10:31:06 AM (Central Standard Time, UTC-06:00)
Is there somewhere to send a memorial? Does the family want a donation in his name to a
organization?

I never met him, but we emailed from time to time, and my heart is breaking for the family.
Saturday, December 15, 2007 5:04:19 PM (Central Standard Time, UTC-06:00)
That's sad news indeed. He commented on more than 250 articles on Samizdata and was clearly one of the good guys.
Sunday, December 16, 2007 2:43:21 AM (Central Standard Time, UTC-06:00)
When I think of this guy and a memorial, the first word that comes to mind is "Wake".
Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:57:12 AM (Central Standard Time, UTC-06:00)
That is sad news, he'll be missed.
Sunday, December 16, 2007 4:31:06 PM (Central Standard Time, UTC-06:00)
We will have Shi'va and memorial service for my brother Tom E. Arnold at our synagogue, Congregation Kneseth Israel (CKI) at 6:45 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday, Dec. 19th and 20th.
Traditionally Shi'va would be held in our home, but our property is too icy.

Dee will hold a memorial service in the spring or early summer.

All are welcome to join us. CKI is located at 330 Division Street in Elgin, Illinois.
For directions see the CKI website at http://www.ckielgin.org/
The wikipedia article on Shi'va is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva_(Judaism)

You can contact me with any questions.
Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:33:05 PM (Central Standard Time, UTC-06:00)
Here is a link to the Chicago Sun Times obit - this & the guest book will remain up for 1 year.

The memorial service will be held in Milwaukee where we live somwhere between April-June. If you would like more information I'd prefer that you call (414-342-1767) as my mailbox is a mess right now & I'm afraid of deleting mail.

Both my son & I were able to see Tom & say our goodbyes.

Reading all your loving comments makes me very happy.

Wee Wifey